Bob volunteered to accompany Lukas and his class on their first day of skating today. Unfortunately, he was sent off to do a job in Barrie and couldn't make it. I felt bad that he had to back out at the last minute but I usually work on Thursdays and couldn't help either. Yesterday as I was getting ready to leave work, I found out that there wasn't anything for me to do for the rest of the week so I didn't have to come in until Monday. It's been a really busy week and I had a lot of stuff I wanted to get done today. I was really hoping to get to the gym this morning and if I did, I wouldn't be able to help with skating.
The memory of my first day at skating came back to me. My family was financially challenged when I was young and I didn't own a pair of skates. The school had a rack of old skates that could be borrowed. I pulled out the first pair I saw (I was 6 so sizes didn't really mean much to me) and they were 4 sizes too big. I took them with me to the rink and tried to put them on--they were huge! I remember starting to cry a little--I felt really stupid that the skates didn't fit and I didn't know how to tie the laces. I was sitting on the bench by myself and out of the corner of my eye I saw my parents walk in to the arena. I was so relieved to see them! I showed them the skates I borrowed from the school and asked them for help. They pulled out a brand new pair of skates and they fit me perfectly.
That was one of the most memorable moments of my life and I decided that I didn't want to miss Lukas' first skating day. Lukas has never really been on the ice before and he was moving VERY slowly along the edge. His very best friend, Jonathan (who is a seasoned skater) was right by his side. I watched from the side as Jonathan cheered him on, encouraging him to keep going. Lukas fell. I watched as Jonathan dropped to ice beside him and taught him how to get up again. This was the highlight of my day--these two amazing little boys! Jonathan has been such a good friend for Lukas and I am filled with gratitude for their unique bond.
8 years ago
1 comment:
Yay!! With a friend like that, he'll be skating loops aroung you in no time.
Post a Comment