Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Phoenix Project: Day 99

Lukas woke up this morning really worried about what the kids at school would say about his face. It's not too bad but his lip is still really swollen. Lukas has always been really self conscious and concerned about what other people, particularly his peers, think about him. He's careful when he picks out his clothes and how he wears his hair and when he looked at me with his swollen little face and said, "Do I have to go to school today? The kids will all laugh at me..." I didn't know what to do. I missed most of work on Monday already and I really needed to go to work.

I sent out a bunch of texts to everyone I could think of to see if someone could come and stay with him so I could go to work. Regan cleared some of his schedule so he could stay with Lukas during the morning and Kelly took shift #2 in the afternoon. Any other day, any other week, staying home with Lukas wouldn't have been a huge deal. But, I needed to work and I didn't want to feel like a bad mom for sending him to school. What a huge blessing for me to have Regan and Kelly step in and take over so I could be at work and Lukas could have a day to recover.

No comments: