Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Truth

I've had a few comments here and there (not mentioning any names...Starr) about the lack of posts on my blog. I've been thinking about this for a while now and I think it's time to tell the truth--just put it all out there. So, here goes...

The last few years have been...challenging (which is an understatement). It was 3 years ago that we decided to move 3000 km away from our home, our family and our friends. Why? Most of you know that we are very religious and, even though it may sound crazy (especially given all we been through), we moved away because we felt like it was the right decision for our family. So, with no job, no place to live and no idea what we getting into, we jumped with complete faith into the unknown.

The last 3 years have included 4 different homes, 3 different schools for our kids, 6 jobs (between Bob and I), 1 broken leg and unbelievable debt. This has been discouraging, frustrating, aggravating and at times I wonder if we made the right decision. BUT, in these last 3 years we have also experienced a plethora of blessings: financial help from family and friends, new friendships, strengthened seasoned friendships, spiritual growth, leadership opportunities, and many miracles that have happened on a regular basis.

Sometimes, my dark and twisty soul likes to focus on the negative things...the difficult things and unfortunately, sometimes has become too often. I've allowed myself to become cynical and pessimistic instead of focusing on all the good things that this experience has brought me. I'm not the person I want to be. I’ve found it really difficult to blog because I have nothing to say—nothing that I really want anyone to know. I felt that people (family and friends) would judge me for making such a crazy decision to move out here, beg me to move back (which I don’t feel good about doing), pity me for our run of bad luck (I don't want to be looked at with pity or like I'm broken) or perhaps would be disappointed in negative person I’ve turned into.

So in an effort to purge the negative and re-adjust my focus, I will be starting my own challenge. I will be actively seeking the good things, God's tender mercies, and chronicling them here (which means hopefully there will be a lot more updates). I'm hoping that through this adjustment I can become the person I want to be!

3 comments:

Cassandra Hill said...

Hey - I was just recently thinking about you and how I would love to see a new post on your blog! I'm so glad you moved out here and thanks for the reminder that we always need to look for the positives.

Holly Rice said...

We all need that reminder, after going home by myself for two weeks, I really was able to reflect on my choices and who I have become. Love ya.

Curtis and Heather said...

I read this quote yesterday and it helped me readjust my focus a little. For a moment, I was able to put things in perspective and in that moment I felt peace.
"All the honor, glory and wealth of this world should sink into insignificance in our minds in comparison with an inheritance in the presence of God and the Lamb...While one if fleeting and soon passeth away, the other endureth forever." Wilford Woodruff.
Bills still need paying, food and clothing still need to be bought but maybe it will give you a little comfort in a really hard time. I hope things work out for you guys soon. Love Heather