Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Phoenix Project: Day 43

I realize that everyday will have ups and downs and today I hit a bump--Lukas has been struggling quite a bit over the last year. Before Christmas we were taking him to meet with a psychologist to try and understand what he was feeling and how we could help. When he came home from school he went straight upstairs. I asked him how his day was and he said "Good!" as he was running by. When I went to check his planner he refused to let me see it. He said that he didn't want me to see what was inside. When I opened it I found a note from his teacher about his behavior and when I questioned Lukas about it, he couldn't really remember what happened...yeah right. So I marched him back to the school to find his teacher.

She went through exactly what happened and what the consequences would be; she also explained that Lukas knew what he had done and that he was supposed to tell me about it when he got home. The three of us were able to talk about everything and I feel very reassured by Ms. K that despite the bad day, Lukas has improved a lot since the beginning of the year.

I am so grateful that Lukas has an amazing teacher! It has made all the difference this year. We know that Lukas has some challenges but it is wonderful to work with his teachers and feel like we're accomplishing something--even if today was a bad day.

I walked away from the school feeling strengthened and uplifted, which given the situation, might not have been the case.

HOORAY FOR WONDERFUL TEACHERS!

No comments: